25 January, 2008

Gratitude

Wow, so I have been thinking a ton lately about all that I am blessed with. Do you ever feel like as a mom that some days you are just trapped. Don't get me wrong, motherhood is like the most amazing and rewarding experience of my life, but some days I just feel trapped, like the world around me doesn't exist and that I am going to lose it. I have also thought about how much I love reading my friends blogs because it makes me feel I am not the only one going through these life experiences. I think blogging was an inspired concept, it is my group therapy...really. You spill your guts out and friends read and comment, giving encouragement, then you can read your friends ups and downs and it makes you feel they are real just like you.
This week I have been noticing the beauty that is around me. It has been raining here this last week. I love the rain, in moderation, I love the rain. I need the sun, but rain is so nice and refreshing. I feel so thankful to live in such a beautiful place. Out of some of the windows in our home, we have a view of the local snow capped mountains and out of Hayden's upstairs window (three stories high) we can just about see the ocean. If one of the hills wasn't in the way, we would have an ocean view. Too often I get caught up (especially lately) in thinking about all the things I want, mainly a house. For some people their trial is that they suffer from depression, maybe they have a hard time getting pregnant, for me my trial right now is that we still haven't been able to purchase our own home and it is killing me. Amongst this and struggling with Hayden's hopefully age-related horrible behavior, by the way, I was told at 4 it gets easier. I was totally expecting the day he turned four, two weeks ago, to be a changing day for us. Then the other day someone said it changes when they are five, ahhh. In the meantime hopefully one of the three books I purchased off Amazon in a desperate search for some answers will help me. I hope they get here quickly. So, as I have been thinking about all of this lately, I have really been looking for answers and help, peace. My prayers lately have consisted of nothing but asking for things. Instead of reading my scriptures the other day I picked up my patriarchal blessing and read through that. In it it tells me to "take frequent opportunities to pour out your heart to your Father in Heaven for all the things you are blessed with, good health, living in a favored land...then as you do this Heavenly Father will bless you with things even without your asking." So, I have turned my focus instead to that of gratitude and I am amazed that such a simple thing has made all the difference. It is so easy sometimes to get caught up in selfishness, and I am guilty of that more than I realize. But today and hopefully from here on out, I am grateful.

5 comments:

Heidi Kjar said...

Good post Michelle. It gave me some insight into what you are struggling with. I hope you get a house soon, but like you said, in the mean time there is so much else to be grateful for. You always figure out your problems with a spiritual take on them and that is so admirable in you. Thanks for your example of that.
Love ya!

Shel said...

MICHELLE,
Ok...this just shows US ALL that we can't judge a person till we walk in their shoes, because honestly, as I have struggled with Carter's behavior issues lately, I will never forget going to your blog one of the first times and thinking how lucky you must be that your darling boys are not at all experiencing what I'm going through with my little man. I always thought, "Come on...I could handle 39 high school students in a classroom at any given time, MY OWN KIDS will be totally well behaved and have no issues." Wow was I humbled. I think we do sometimes paint the perfect lives in our blogs and I soooo appreciate the real ones that tell it like it is. I need to regularly send you one of my girlfriend's emails...her boys have put her through much, and she just admits it to all of us in all emails and Christmas letters, it is great...I LOVE HER LETTERS...they are, as you said on my struggling post, REAL. Michelle, YOU ARE THE BEST...and I bet if you came to my house...you'd be grateful for Hayden's tough moments when you saw some of Carter's struggles right now! :) Love your guts!

Heidi Kjar said...

As I read this comment from "shel"-
I have to agree with her. The real posts are so refreshing and so good to learn from. You've always been so "real" and that is one thing I love about you.

Ginger said...

I needed this today Michelle! Looking on the positives makes life so much better.

Unknown said...

Wow. It is so nice to know that someone else is going through what you are. I have been feeling so sorry for myself latley because I want so badly to live in Cali. I knew I was greatful for everything that I had here (namely a home) but I was still sad. I'm finally getting over that self-pitty. I think you are so right. If we focus on gratitude, then that will be our mindset and there will be no room for self-pity. Thanks for the above blog as well. It's nice to have some spiritual help as well. I loved the Peter analogy. It's good to have friends that help you keep that eternal perspective. Thank you so much. And by the way, YOU are the one that I am in awe of. You seem to be super mom to me...funny how the grass always seems to be greener on the other blog...