05 September, 2008

Blog Worthy Moment

So, let me tell you a little bit about our morning. I dropped off Hayden at his second day of pre-school, came home and showered and thought I would take advantage of the time I have with just one child to go get some shopping done. So, I went to several different stores with Carson and at the last store, Kohl's I thought to myself, self you forgot the stroller and Khol's doesn't have shopping carts for kids to sit in, so now would be a great time to teach Carson how to walk beside me. I needed to return an item and thought I would do some quick browsing of the clearance items, which are always great, and I had timed it perfectly to give me about 15 minutes in the store, not too much time to do damage but just right to pick up Hayden on time from school. So about 5 minutes prior to us needing to leave, Carson and I were browsing and Carson wondered off too far from me, so I asked him to come back and stand beside me. He came by me for a minute then he was gone again and it took me about 30 seconds to realize he hadn't come back. I started softly calling and will usually hear his feet running towards me, nothing. I started broadening my search a little still calling him but hearing nothing and not seeing him anywhere. Within about a minute of calling him this lady who was shopping next to me said, "you haven't found him yet?" then a Kohl's worker was standing right there and came over and we told her we were missing a little boy. She called in code yellow, still I was thinking we will find him any minute. Well, 10 minutes later, I am running through the store yelling his name, looking low, I searched in the bathrooms- yes men's too, I didn't care what I might find in there, I went outside to see if he had gone to the car, then as I turned to come back inside I was sweating bullets and started sobbing and panic totally set in. This sweet angel came and put her arm around me reassuring me we would find him. There were about 30 people looking for him. Luckily I had a picture on my phone of what he looked like and started showing it to people as I am still running through the store. Employees all had to drop whatever they were doing and search, they had all the entrances locked down and all security personnel out. I had to call Jared to have him get a hold of Hayden's teacher, since I was already late to pick up Hayden- I had been late all week taking him and picking him up and I was so determined to be on time today, no such luck. After 20 torturous minutes of searching and panic, I was told he had been found. There were about 15 people all rallied around us when they gave Carson back to me and I started sobbing. People were clapping and so elated at the reunion. So, turns out he wanted to play a little game of hide and seek with mommy. He hid behind the jeans on the wall right behind me, we had thoroughly searched all the middle racks but not so much the outside ones on the wall. He told me he had poops, and he likes his privacy when he wants to go to the bathroom, so it made sense to me that he hid. When he got home he kept saying, "Mommy, you sad? I give you kiss." Thank heaven for all the angels who stopped shopping and helped me look for my little boy. I had an instant support team and I was so thankful for that. Now I just hope I can go back and find those clearance items I threw down in a pile, hehe.

5 comments:

The Tomlinsons said...

Oh my goodness!!! I cannot imagine how terrifying that whole thing must have been! It's so nice to see the goodness in people when a crisis strikes. Most of the time, mankind steps up. Oh, and on a different subject, Rob and I were thinking about you last weekend as we drove past your little BYU apartment just off of University Ave!

Monica said...

OH MICHELLE!!! I cried reading your post! I am so glad you found him!!!

Texas Blad's said...

Oh my! I cannot believe it! They should all have leashes! (that what I say about mine everytime I take them out, if I had only started that early on!!)

Debbie said...

oh my goodness, my heart was racing just reading your post. i am so glad you had help right there. i cannot even imagine one of my own being gone that long. i have lost them for a min here or there but, wow. glad everything worked out in the end.

jlj said...

oh michelley.
i think we all felt your panic.
loves.
jlj