22 September, 2008

I Give Up!

So I get asked often my age. People tell me I look like I am 16, and although I do still feel like a teenager, I have no idea how I reached my old age of 28, but my crows feet around my eyes, and laugh lines on my face are beginning to show- I guess people just don't look close enough. Last summer I was asked if I was my kid's nanny as I was vacationing in Newport Beach getting an ice cream while tugging the kids behind me in the wagon. When I told the man I was their mother, he said "What are you, 12?" Last week I was at a scrapbook retreat and a woman stopped me just before I was about to leave (I had been looking at her all day long as there were only about 24 of us in this big scrapbook room) and she said, I have been watching you and it doesn't look like you are here with your mom, please tell me you are not a mother yourself. I told here I was scrapbooking books for my two children, 4 1/2 and 2. She couldn't believe it. I was told yesterday that I look like I am a teenager and way too young to have any kids.
Over a year ago, I cut my hair short, equating that shorter hair, when styled I should ad, usually makes one look older. I even went as far as shopping in the women's department in clothing stores trying to find something more mature. I threw away a bunch of my high school clothes, feeling that time was way over due, although I have to admit I do still have a few items of clothing that I wear, from 11 years ago and I have to say I think they are still in good taste for the most part. Anyhow, today I am doing away with any attempts to try to make myself look older and I will embrace my youthfulness. So, I threw on some jeans, a dragon shirt and pulled my hair back in a pony, I have officially given up and it feels great.

6 comments:

Monica said...

That post makes me laugh! Enjoy your youthfulness! :)

The Tomlinsons said...

It is always better to look younger then older. I think you look great! Everyone needs to feel like a kid, some are just blessed to still look like kids. This was a funny post, thanks for sharing.

Texas Blad's said...

haha! enjoy it is right! Your getting CLOSE to thirty (I can say that since I'm even CLOSER), so it is OK that you have 2 kids, whether onlookers agree or not! Think how cool it will be when your kids are teenagers and everyone has a hard time believing they are yours...savor it!!lol- love you Michelle!

Jenn said...

This happens to me all the time as well! Maybe it has something to do with our height??? I don't know, but it makes taking the kids out an adventure!!! You never know what might happen. People can give the funniest looks when they are trying to figure things out. =) This post made me laugh!

DTanner said...

Ok I have a funny story for you. Yesterday I went to Derrick's parent teacher conference. Not one, but 2, teachers asked me if I was his sister. One teacher insisted that I must be only 21. Granted I am not old enough to have a child in Jr. High... but still! I totally know how you feel. Thought you would get a kick out of it. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Jacob still gets asked if he's a teenager...actually, I think it's been moved up to 20 now. Same with me. I think your friend is right - I think it has to do with our height! Luckily, I live in Utah where people don't turn their heads at young-looking mothers! Like they say, it will pay off when you get older!